- Independent evolution across species – Convergent evolution has produced a very similar eye across species; mammals and cephalopods’ common ancestor had a photoreceptive spot.
- 8% of males can’t see green – Or red! X chromosomeinherited mutations can lead to colour blindness, the most common of which is red/ green colour blindness.
- Hawks have 20/2 vision! – Hawks have up to eight times better vision than the average human due to increased levels of cones and rods in the eye.
- Your eyes don’t get tired – The eye is the only organ of the body which doesn’t actually need rest. It can operate at 100 per cent all the time.
- Over half the brain is involved in seeing – The eye uses 65 per cent of the nerve pathways to the human brain. We are very much visually dependent beings!
5 TOP FACTS THE EYE